MASALA CHAI RECIPES
Masala chai is a spiced milky tea brewed with a blend of spices. Across the Indian sub-continent, you will find chaiwala’s making this iconic drink. So how do you make it? And what's in it?
There are many varieties of masala chai, with each family/chaiwala making it to their taste. The kind of masala chai we make at Amala Chai is brewing Assam tea with our 5 spice masala containing cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper cinnamon & ginger. Our recipe originates from our founder Akhil's grandma who was born in Gujarat.
Perhaps the most important aspect of the masala chai recipe is the brewing process. It's extremely important to keep the chai boiling as much as possible. The longer you brew it, the deeper the flavours infuse with the milk and water.
The recipe and video below outlines how to make the perfect cup of masala chai using our Cardamom Masala & Assam Tea.
- Just over 1/2 a mug of water
- 1/2 a mug of milk
- 1/2 tsp of Masala
- 1/2 tbsp of Black Tea
- 1 tsp of sugar (add more if you like it sweet)
- Place everything into a pan apart from the milk. Place on medium heat and stir regularly.
- Once your chai is bubbling, add the milk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour through a fine sieve and enjoy your cup of Amala Chai!
- For enhanced flavours, brew your chai slightly longer
- If you like it fiery, add grated ginger
- Watch out for your chai boiling over!
As mentioned before, there are many chais with most chaiwala's only using 2-3 spices in their brew. Some examples are:
Kashmiri pink chai: Salty and sweet
Kesar Chai: Saffron
Pudina Chai: Mint
Tandoori Chai: Made in a tandoor (clay oven)
Sulumaini chai: Black tea with lemon
Cutting chai: Smaller stronger cup of masala chai
So why not get experimenting now? Just add our Assam tea to your pan and choose your herbs/spices for the brew. Some suggestions are:
Lemongrass & Ginger
Mint & Tulsi
Cardamom & Saffron
Cardamom & Clove
Cinnamon & Basil
Rose Bud, Saffron & Cardamom
P.s. Try using condensed milk with extra sugar for a very indulgent cuppa!
Akhil Patel 07/11/2022